Managing Security Roles
The Faculty Profile Manager in each college is responsible for establishing and maintaining all of the security roles in the college EXCEPT for the “Faculty” security role (this role is assigned to faculty by the university when their accounts are created).
Security roles control who gets to see and edit data in Faculty Profile. Here are the main security roles (see Security Role Descriptions for a little longer explanation):
- College Administrator (view and edit all faculty in the college)
- College Read-Only (view faculty in the college)
- Department Administrator (view and edit all faculty in the department)
- Department Read-Only (view all faculty in the department)
- Individual (view and edit another individual faculty member)
- Faculty (view and edit your own faculty records)
Managing security roles typically involves:
- Assigning and removing roles to college and department faculty administrators when they are appointed and then step-down from administrative positions.
- Assigning security roles to non-faculty administrative and staff employees who require access to Faculty Profile for various reasons. See Adding Non-Faculty Accounts.
To assign and remove roles to college and department faculty administrators:
- Log into Faculty Profile.
- Select Users and Security on the top menu bar.
- Find the individual you want to assign to or remove from a security role.
- Click the pencil icon under the Edit column.
- Click on the box next to the security role you want to assign to or remove from this individual.
- If adding a security role, click on the unit(s) you want this individual to be able to access using that security role. (NOTE: A person given a College role is automatically given access to the Departments in that college.)
- Click on the Save button at the bottom of the screen.