The University has prepared dozens of report templates that should meet most needs for extracting data from Faculty Profile. These reports are typically printed in MS Word or PDF format, but some reports offer the option to format the report as an Excel spreadsheet.
You can run custom reports from two locations on Faculty Profile: (1) Rapid Reports; and (2) Reports.
Rapid Reports (use to run reports for single individuals)
- Open Faculty Profile: facultyprofile.byu.edu.
- Click Rapid Reports (top right-hand corner of screen when Activities is selected).
- Choose the report you want and the report parameters.
If you have administrative access, see Running Admin Reports.
- Open Faculty Profile: facultyprofile.byu.edu.
- Go to Reports (top menu bar).
- Step 1: Choose the report you wish to run. (To download a report template that shows how the report you selected will be built, select Download this report's template.)
- Step 2: Enter the Date Range of the report.
- Step 3: Select your preferred file format: Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, HTML, and for select reports Microsoft Excel.
- Review your selections and select Run Report.
- Faculty Profile will build your report, and you will be prompted to either open it or save it locally.
Note: Custom report templates can be modified to meet BYU's needs. Please contact your Faculty Profile College Liaison to make requests.
Creating a New/Custom Report/Vita or Exporting Data
- Open Faculty Profile: facultyprofile.byu.edu
- Select Reports front the top menu bar.
- Select Create a New Report in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select a report style (blank document, vita, or export data). Blank Document allows you to build a report from scratch, while Vita allows you to start from a sample vita and edit as needed. For instructions on using these two formats, see: https://www.digitalmeasures.com/activity-insight/docs/reporting.html. Export Data will export raw data you can access via Microsoft Excel (see instructions below).
- Step 1: Date Range. Select the date range for the information you wish to include in your report. If you wish to include all dates for which there is data, select All Dates.
- Step 2: Whom to Include. By default, all enabled users are included in the report. To limit your report to certain users or groups, select Change Selection. You can select to include particular individuals or all individuals in a particular college or department. If colleges, departments, and individual users are selected, these selections function using "and" logic, and the report will include all the selections you have made.
- To decide which accounts are included in the report, look at the options under Include These Accounts. Your options are “Enabled only,” “Disabled Only,” and “Enabled and Disabled.” Disabled accounts include only faculty whose accounts are not currently active or who are not currently teaching, whereas enabled accounts include only faculty currently teaching at BYU.
- NOTE: Faculty Profile uses the college and department listed in each user’s most recent Yearly BYU Personnel Information to determine who should be included (all previous units are ignored when determining who to include in a report).
- Step 3: Data to Include. You can click on Change Selection to select the fields you want to include in the report. Click on the Include All box to uncheck all options.
- Step 4: Grouping Method. The data in the report can be organized by unit, such as college or department, or by individual. For example, if you select department from the list, the report will be grouped for each department that you have selected. You can go under individual units and select only the items you want to include in your report by checking the box next to your desired unit.
- Step 5: Search Keywords. If there any specific keywords you want to have searched in your report, type those in here.
- Step 6: File Format. Select your desired file format and the files per screen you want to see.
- When you have completed your selections, select Save to save your selection and return to the Run Reports page.
- Review your selections and select Run Report (upper right-hand corner of the screen).
- Your report will appear on the bottom left-hand side of your screen. Click on it to open the report. (If you instead receive a warning message stating that you have exceeded the 20,000 record limit, please revise your report selections to include a narrower range of data.)
Manipulate the Data in the Downloaded CSV file
The raw data is downloaded in comma-delimited [CSV] format. Use Excel (or comparable apps) to open the file and manipulate the data.
For personal assistance with running reports, contact the Faculty Profile Helpdesk.